ABA Behaviour Change Project - Part 1

Following on from my last post; this year, for me, is all about personal development. As well as striving to improve my interpersonal communication skills ready for post university life, I'll be setting personal goals to improve or reduce behaviours that I feel affect my life.

This term I've taken a module on Applied Behaviour Analysis and I'll be completing a behaviour change project of my choice, with the idea of changing something profound.

So what have I chosen to change about me?

It might seem trivial to most, but I have always had difficulties in stopping myself from biting my nails. It has been a life long habit of mine since I first noticed I even had nails! There have been countless occasions where I've doused my hands in 'stop and grow', fake nails, amongst an array of other unorthodox methods, with very little results.

When I met Rob I somehow completely disregarded this awful habit for some time.

In the last 6 months I have slipped back in to old patterns and I'm back to biting. Oops! So what do I already know about my nail biting habits? Well, very little...

Despite that I've done it my whole life, I've never really considered WHY I do it. Maybe because it's such an automatic behaviour for me that most of the time I don't even realise I'm doing it. I'm an anxious person anyway, so I have an inkling that it may be playing a part..

Over the next 12 weeks I will be conducting a little experiment on myself to see if I can shake the habit, and whether it may have any affect on my mental health.

Visit my blog next week for to see how I got on!



No comments:

Post a Comment