Little Welsh Girl Makes it Big

I come from a family who has lived in the deep green valleys of south Wales for generations. Most of the my ancestors even then have only ever lived a few miles from each other, predominantly in and around Quarter Bach on the foot of the Black mountain.

Growing up in a small welsh village, educated in a primary school of about 30 pupils in total, I never dreamed I would be months away from graduation today.

My Mamgu and Daps lived just down the road, and my great grandparents a stones throw from my front door. There was always a big emphasis placed on the importance of our strong family ties, and the sense of togetherness we all seemed to have. I had everything I needed in my small world. 

As a child I remember spending much of my time playing out until dark on the estate with my few friends from school. Coming in every night with a cold runny nose and a big smile. Life was simple.

I suppose you could say I started to see my world differently after my parents divorced when I was 7 years old. I began to question life regularly, forming a strong introspective voice that to this day hasn't left my side. I developed a passion for understanding the world around me. Conspiracies, stories of the great Pyramids, the wonders of space and the possibility of alien life, and endless documentaries about nature would light a fire inside me that has only grown in warmth and size. My grandfather and I spent many afternoons and evenings watching and reading with fascination.

He has always given me the chance to explore my thoughts openly with him. He would often challenge them, and I valued his opinions,  but always managed to hold my own. Something I've not been able to do with many else. Debating such big concepts and issues, at such a young and impressionable age, opened my eyes to the world around me.

My passion for understanding human nature had led me to pursue my undergraduate here at Bangor. I have a dream to follow this until I can help others make sense of the world around them and get the most out of life.

I have had the privilege of exploring all my academic curiosities. And as a person, I have overcome hardships. It's been an intense three years, and having spent my life in education; I'm not entirely sure what to expect beyond this. Many nights have been spent in distress. I have at times convinced myself of my worthlessness, and lack of ability to reach my goals. I never would have done this without the emotional support from my other half and family.

Graduation is a huge milestone in my life, and I am proud to have come this far. But I can't wait to keep going.

"Anything is possible if you've got enough nerve." 






No comments:

Post a Comment